Sunday, August 8, 2010

About Me

Wayne Johnson
Born in Dargaville in the north of New Zealand in 1946, my family soon moved to Auckland where I grew up, I have an older sister Raewyn and a younger brother ( Murray now sadly deceased,) When leaving school in 1963 I joined the Post and Telegraph department that has now become the Telecom Corporation of New Zealand and began a career in telecomunications, and, in what seemed like a lifetime, advanced to Manager Network operations Field in Auckland.

In 1988 my family and I moved to Perth, Western Australia and I was employed in the role of Field Service Technician installing and servicing office equipment. I am now widowed with 2 grown up sons and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle in sunny Perth.
I have had an interest in radio for as long as I can recall and started as so many others by building a crystal set and then a 1 valve regenerative receiver with which I could receive the 'Hams' on 80 metres and so it went, up went numerous antenna arrays around my parents home much to my mothers dismay!
My interest is now mainly DX and I currently have some 280 countries confirmed. I am a member of the Northern Corridor Radio Group (Perth) and am active in contesting and various club activities.
Antenna wise my station is rather modest as council restrictions limit the erection of antennas and I have a 3 element yagi by TET Emtron on a crank up mast to 10 metres, radios include an Icom IC7800, A SUNsdr2DX, an Icom IC910H and Icom IC7300
I am a keen home builder of equipment including my LDMOS linear amplifier, and numerous other  Ham related gear

Other interests include woodwork and home renovation. I love working with Jarrah timber which was plentiful here but has become very expensive in recent times. Over the years my latewife and I owned 6 homes, 3 in New Zealand and 3 in Perth, we have both had an interest in home renovation for many years.
I also have an interest in Geneology and are currently researching my family tree, very hard work, should have started years ago when my parents were still alive but a very interesting pastime.
View my complete profile

No comments:

Post a Comment